Sunday, January 18, 2009

Italian Wedding Soup

Wow, is it late in the day. Maddie has come down with something, fever, runny nose, wicked cough and crabbiness. Also she is getting her two year molars, so I feel bad for her, and everyone else. Oh, and also I had a paper due this weekend! Woo-hoo. So today's recipe is a link for some tasty soup. Also I copied and pasted from Allrecipes.com.

Owen has always loved soup, Tomato soup has been our go-to meal if he won't eat anything else. It was always his request at daycare for his birthday (instead of pizza!). So any soup is a winner for him. I like this one because it has spinach, how often do you get your kids jumping up and down for spinach?



INGREDIENTS
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese ( I throw in extra cuz dude, it's cheese!)
1 teaspoon dried basil
3 tablespoons minced onion
2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and thinly sliced
1 cup seashell pasta (I used 3/4 cup of Orzo)
3/4 cup diced carrots




DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion. Shape mixture into 3/4-inch balls and set aside.
In a large stockpot heat chicken broth to boiling; stir in the spinach, pasta, carrot and meatballs. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente, and meatballs are no longer pink inside. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.




This can be time consuming with the meatballs, particularly since we get home at 4:10 ish and the kids are starving at 4:45. So I make it on a Sunday and double or triple the meatball ingredients. Then I use what I need for the soup and put the rest in the oven for a bit. Then I freeze them. I can pull them out to make another batch of soup on a weeknight, or throw them into spaghetti sauce for a quick dinner.

1 comment:

worldmomma said...

Your recipes look great. I'm putting this one and the pepper steak in my "to try" file